TopCashBack has upped the payout for purchases of American Express gift cards once again to 3% through March 16th. If you are trying to hit a minimum spending requirement or manufacture some additional spending on your credit cards, this could be a great way for you to get it done and actually make a small profit! Keep in mind Citi will consider this a cash advance so DO NOT buy these gift cards with a Citi credit card.
Normally American Express charges a purchase fee of $3.95 per card and $8.95 for shipping, which drastically reduces the profitability of buying these cards. However, for the remainder of this March you can also get free shipping, on Business gift cards only, using the promotion code FSEMP14 or you can use promo code SYNCGIFT to waive the purchase fees on personal gift cards.
If you don’t already have a TopCashBack account you can go ahead and sign up here using my referral link.
Things you should know about buying Amex gift cards:
- American Express is infamous for declining gift card purchases if the info you enter does not match your credit card 100%. Literally I have had orders denied because I listed a different email address in my order than what I had on my credit card so make sure every piece of information matches.
- Purchase limit is $5,000 per person within a 14 day rolling period for personal gift cards.
- Business gift cards have a larger maximum of $75,000.
- If your order is denied they will still count it towards your $5,000 total limit! This is absolutely asinine but unfortunately it is true.
- Citibank is known to consider gift card purchases as a cash advance. DO NOT USE A CITI CARD!
- Take advantage of the 3 month free trial Amex offers for unlimited next day shipping to save money!
- You cannot set a PIN for Amex gift cards so you will have to liquidate them by making purchases. An easy liquidation option is to go to giftcardmall.com and purchase Visa gift cards which can be liquidated via Bluebird.