This offer has been offered in the last couple of years but I haven’t heard it mentioned in a long time. Plus now that we are in a new year I figured it was worth talking about again. Delta offers a pretty solid offer that gives new SkyMiles members the opportunity to score up to 40,000 bonus miles.
The 40,000 mile promotion is available only for new SkyMiles accounts and requires you to register for the offer within 30 days after signing up for SkyMiles. After you have registered you can complete various activities to earn bonus miles. You have 12 months from the date you enroll in the promotion to take advantage of the offers. Some are easier and some you may not be able to take advantage of.
Also, you should be aware of that you must maintain a valid email address and remain opted in to receive (via email) Fare Sales and Last Minute Deals, your SkyMiles Statement, Delta Partner Offers, SkyMiles Promotions, and Travel & SkyMiles Info. It would be really crummy to lose out on the bonus just because you forgot to sign up for promo emails! You can change your email settings at delta.com/profile
How to earn the bonus miles:
1. Fly with Delta (up to 15,000 miles) – Earn 5,000 bonus miles on your first round-trip flight with Delta. In addition, you will earn 2,500 additional bonus miles for each of the next 4 round-trip flights. These miles are in addition to the miles you will earn for the miles flown.
2. Delta Partners (up to 5,000 miles) – You will earn 500 miles for each transaction you complete with one of Delta’s partners, regardless of the transaction size. Delta has over 100 partners to use so this can be pretty easy to do. Keep in mind you need to make sure your SkyMiles number is provided during the transaction. You can find all of Delta’s partner options online.
3. Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express (5,000 bonus miles on top of the advertised sign-up bonus) – This is an easy way to increase the sign-up bonus. Not only will you get the normal sign-up bonus but in addition to that you will be awarded an extra 5,000 miles through this promotion.
4. Delta Sky Club® (10,000 miles) – For the cost of the Sky Club membership it would not be worth it to get a membership just to earn the miles. However, if you already intended to buy one, this would be a nice added bonus.
5. Redeem 10,000 miles get 5,000 miles back – Obviously you would not want to simply redeem 10k just to get 5k. But if you are able to earn enough miles to redeem within the first year, you would get 5,000 miles back. The miles are awarded for a 10k+ redemption, however I would not advise redeeming your miles for anything besides award travel which starts at 25,000 miles.