Throwing a Barclays card into the mix during your next round of credit card applications can be a great option. First of all Barclays usually pulls their credit reports from TransUnion which is seldom used by the major credit card issuers which will help minimize the impact on your credit score by spreading the inquiries among different credit bureaus. Secondly, Barclays has yet to embrace the trend of high minimum spending requirements that have plagued the travel credit card world lately. Many of Barclays credit cards offer the sign-up bonus after first purchase such as
The US Airways Premier World MasterCard®.
Recently Barclays has introduced a new line of credit cards known as the Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard. The card offers a fixed value rewards program allowing you to purchase travel and then redeem your miles for statement credits to pay for travel at a rate of 1 cent per mile.
Normally this type of program would not be your best value as 1 cent per mile is not the greatest per point value. However, what can make this a good value is that it gives you 2x points on all purchases making your rebate 2% on all purchases.
Plus, similar to the Aadvantage Platinum card, this card gives you a 10% rebate on the miles redeemed for travel which in turn gives you a return of 2.2% back on all your purchases. At that rate this becomes a great card to use for any purchases where you are not getting some kind of category bonus on. This is also a great option for paying for domestic flights which tend to have a lower mileage redemption value or for paying for lower and mid-tier hotels.
Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard
- $89 Annual Fee – WAIVED the first year
- Earn 40,000 bonus miles if you make $1,000 or more in purchases in the first 90 days after account opening. 40,000 bonus miles equates to $400 off your next trip!
- 0% intro APR on purchases for the first 12 months after account opening. After that, variable APR, currently 14.99% or 18.99% depending upon your creditworthiness.
- Earn 2X miles on all purchases
- No mileage caps and no foreign transaction fees
- Get 10% of your miles back when you redeem for travel
- Use miles for a statement credit toward any airline purchase to any destination with no restrictions and no blackout dates
- Easily redeem your miles for statement credits toward flights, cruises, car rentals, hotels and more
- Complimentary Triplt Pro subscription – the mobile travel organizer that helps make traveling easier (an annual $49 value)
Check out the full terms and conditions here.