Yesterday I saw that Barclay’s had brought back a limited time offer to earn 4x miles per dollar on American Express gift cards via the Rewards Boost online shopping portal. While this is a fantastic deal equivalent to a 4.4 percent rebate when used for travel, it is however only available to those who have the Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard.
For those who don’t hold this credit card there is another awesome special being run right now on the Delta SkyMiles Shopping portal. Right now you can earn 3 SkyMiles per dollar spent in addition to the miles you earn for whatever credit card you choose to pay with!
These cards do have a purchase fee of $3.95 and hefty shipping fee however you can save on shipping by simply signing up for American Expresses unlimited next day shipping program. Unlimited next day shipping is $99/year but when you sign up you are giving a FREE 3 month trial. During this time you pay nothing and can take advantage of the free shipping all you want!
Buying American Express gift cards can be a great way to quickly hit the minimum spending requirements for a new credit card or simply as a way to manufacture ongoing spending to earn extra miles or annual spending bonuses. Once you have purchased the gift cards they can be liquidated by purchasing Visa gift cards using the American Express gift cards. Once you have converted them to Visa’s you simply cash out using Bluebird, money orders, or various other methods.
What would you rather earn, 4x Barclays miles or 3x SkyMiles?
Things you should know about buying Amex gift cards:
- American Express is infamous for declining gift card purchases if the info you enter does not match your credit card 100%. Literally I have had orders denied because I listed a different email address in my order than what I had on my credit card so make sure every piece of information matches.
- Purchase limit is $5,000 per person within a 14 day rolling period for personal gift cards.
- Business gift cards have a larger maximum of $75,000.
- If your order is denied they will still count it towards your $5,000 total limit! This is absolutely asinine but unfortunately it is true.
- Citibank is known to consider gift card purchases as a cash advance. DO NOT USE A CITI CARD!
- Take advantage of the 3 month free trial Amex offers for unlimited next day shipping to save money!
- You cannot set a PIN for Amex gift cards so you will have to liquidate them by making purchases. An easy liquidation option is to go to giftcardmall.com and purchase Visa gift cards which can be liquidated via Bluebird.