It was just a week ago that the 4x miles offer went away and surprisingly it is back again already! Barclay Arrival cardmembers can get 4 miles per dollar for buying Amex gift cards through the RewardsBoost shopping portal. That is in addition to the normal 2x per dollar you would receive for using your Arrival card making this worth a 6% rebate on travel or 6.6% after the 10% rebate on redeemed points that the Arrival card offers!!
You don’t have to use your Arrival card if you don’t want to. You could pay with a different card and earn 4x points with Barclays + whatever miles you earn from the card you choose to use.
Normally American Express charges a purchase fee of $3.95 per card and $8.95 for shipping, which drastically reduces the profitability of buying these cards. However, there are a few promotion codes available right now which will waive the purchase fees on your orders. For no purchase fees on Business gift cards you can use the promo code FPADMIN (good thru April 30th) or you can use promo code SYNCGIFT to waive the purchase fees on personal gift cards.
Things you should know about buying Amex gift cards:
- American Express is infamous for declining gift card purchases if the info you enter does not match your credit card 100%. Literally I have had orders denied because I listed a different email address in my order than what I had on my credit card so make sure every piece of information matches.
- Purchase limit is $5,000 per person within a 14 day rolling period for personal gift cards.
- Business gift cards have a larger maximum of $75,000.
- If your order is denied they will still count it towards your $5,000 total limit! This is absolutely asinine but unfortunately it is true.
- Citibank is known to consider gift card purchases as a cash advance. DO NOT USE A CITI CARD!
- Take advantage of the 3 month free trial Amex offers for unlimited next day shipping to save money!
- You cannot set a PIN for Amex gift cards so you will have to liquidate them by making purchases. An easy liquidation option is to go to giftcardmall.com and purchase Visa gift cards which can be liquidated via Bluebird.