Barclaycard is currently running an awesome special on the purchase of American Express gift cards through the Barclay Rewards Boost shopping portal. Right now you will an extra 4 miles for every $1 you spend on gift cards! That is in addition to the normal 2x miles earned if you are using your Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard®.
When you redeem your miles for travel cash back you are looking at earning 6% cash back on this deal. Plus the Arrival card gives you a 10% rebate on your redeemed miles bumping the value up to 6.6%. You do not have to use the Arrival card to get the extra miles however, you are required to be a holder of the Arrival card to gain access to the Rewards Boost shopping portal.
Buying American Express gift cards can be a great way to create a little extra spending on your credit card to earn that new sign up bonus or just to supplement the miles you earn. These cards do have a purchase fee of $3.95 and hefty shipping fee however you can save on shipping by simply signing up for American Expresses unlimited next day shipping program. Unlimited next day shipping is $99/year but when you sign up you are giving a FREE 3 month trial. During this time you pay nothing and can take advantage of the free shipping all you want!
This is a limited time offer but I could not find any date for when this expires. The bonus miles should post to your account within 45 days after your purchase.
Per the terms, the offer is not valid if you use a promo code or coupon code not listed on the shopping portal site such as the free shipping or no purchase fee codes that are frequently available. I have never heard of anyone not getting the bonus as a result but I would not risk it. Most report just having the points reduced by the value of the offer code.
Things you should know about buying Amex gift cards:
- American Express is infamous for declining gift card purchases if the info you enter does not match your credit card 100%. Literally I have had orders denied because I listed a different email address in my order than what I had on my credit card so make sure every piece of information matches.
- Purchase limit is $5,000 per person within a 14 day rolling period for personal gift cards.
- Business gift cards have a larger maximum of $75,000.
- If your order is denied they will still count it towards your $5,000 total limit! This is absolutely asinine but unfortunately it is true.
- Citibank is known to consider gift card purchases as a cash advance. DO NOT USE A CITI CARD!
- Take advantage of the 3 month free trial Amex offers for unlimited next day shipping to save money!
- You cannot set a PIN for Amex gift cards so you will have to liquidate them by making purchases. An easy liquidation option is to go to giftcardmall.com and purchase Visa gift cards which can be liquidated via Bluebird.