Monday I wrote about an awesome deal to earn 3% cashback on the purchase of American Express gift cards via Topcashback. This great offer is in effect until Valentines Day. But I know there are some who are skeptical of cash back portals and some who would rather have more miles than more cash back.
Well it looks like there are a couple of other great options available for a limited time as well. The Delta SkyMiles Shopping portal and Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Shopping are currently running a limited time special of their own on American Express gift cards. Right now you can get 3 miles per dollar through either one of these shopping portals. That is in addition to the regular miles you will earn for using your credit card to make the purchase.
Or if you are a Barclaycard Arrival™ card holder, you can earn 4 extra miles per dollar by going through Barclay’s new RewardsBoost portal. Add that to the 2 points per dollar you earn on all purchases with the Arrival card and you are looking at a whopping 6x points per dollar!! When you redeem your miles for travel cash back you are looking at earning 6% cash back on this deal. Plus the Arrival card gives you a 10% rebate on your redeemed miles bumping the value up to 6.6%.
So there you have it, your options are now wide open. What will you choose? Will it be 3x with Delta or Alaska, 4x with Barclay’s, or 3% cash with Topcashback? These offers only seem to come around a few times a year and usually coincide with a gift giving holiday like Christmas and Valentines Day.
Things you should know about buying Amex gift cards:
- American Express is infamous for declining gift card purchases if the info you enter does not match your credit card 100%. Literally I have had orders denied because I listed a different email address in my order than what I had on my credit card so make sure every piece of information matches.
- Purchase limit is $5,000 per person within a 14 day rolling period for personal gift cards.
- Business gift cards have a larger maximum of $75,000.
- If your order is denied they will still count it towards your $5,000 total limit! This is absolutely asinine but unfortunately it is true.
- Citibank is known to consider gift card purchases as a cash advance. DO NOT USE A CITI CARD!
- Take advantage of the 3 month free trial Amex offers for unlimited next day shipping to save money!
- You cannot set a PIN for Amex gift cards so you will have to liquidate them by making purchases. An easy liquidation option is to go to giftcardmall.com and purchase Visa gift cards which can be liquidated via Bluebird.