I just posted on an offer to earn 3x Delta SkyMiles per $ on American Express gift cards but not everyone is interested in SkyMiles. For those of you who would prefer to get paid in cold hard cash, here is a related offer for you.
Topcashback is currently running a deal offering 3% cashback on Amex gift cards. It is relatively commonplace to see periodic specials from Topcashback or Ebates offering 2% on Amex cards but 3% is a phenomenal deal!!!
Buying American Express gift cards can be a great way to hit the minimum spending requirements on that new credit cards or as a way to reduce the cost or even get paid for manufactured spending. Heck, I suppose you could even consider using them for what they were intended for…. Gifts…
Things you should know about buying Amex gift cards:
- American Express is infamous for declining gift card purchases if the info you enter does not match your credit card 100%. Literally I have had orders denied because I listed a different email address in my order than what I had on my credit card so make sure every piece of information matches.
- Purchase limit is $5,000 per person within a 14 day rolling period for personal gift cards.
- Business gift cards have a larger threshold of $75,000.
- If your order is denied they will still count it towards your $5,000 total limit! This is absolutely asinine but unfortunately it is true.
- Citi is known to consider this a cash advance. DO NOT USE A CITI CARD!
- Take advantage of the 3 month free trial Amex offers for unlimited next day shipping to save money!
- You cannot set a PIN for Amex gift cards so you will have to liquidate them by making purchases. An easy liquidation option is to go to giftcardmall.com and purchase Visa gift cards which can be liquidated via Bluebird.