TopCashBack has upped the payout for purchases of American Express gift cards once again to 3% for a limited time. This offer seems to come around regularly and I make sure to take advantage of it every time. This time around it appears to be available through the end of the week. If you are trying to hit a minimum spending requirement or manufacture some additional spending on your credit cards, this could be a great way for you to get it done and actually make a small profit! Keep in mind Citi will consider this a cash advance so DO NOT buy these gift cards with a Citi credit card.
Normally American Express charges a purchase fee of $3.95 per card and $8.95 for shipping, which drastically reduces the profitability of buying these cards. However you can use promo code DGPCM or GRDPC to waive the purchase fees on personal gift cards. WARNING: There have been many reports of people not getting any cashback for using promo codes, so you may want to skip the codes for the purchase fees.
But you can still save on shipping by simply signing up for American Expresses unlimited next day shipping program. Unlimited next day shipping is $99/year but when you sign up you are giving a FREE 3 month trial. During this time you pay nothing and can take advantage of the free shipping all you want!
If you don’t already have a TopCashBack account you can go ahead and sign up here using my referral link.
Things you should know about buying Amex gift cards:
- American Express is infamous for declining gift card purchases if the info you enter does not match your credit card 100%. Literally I have had orders denied because I listed a different email address in my order than what I had on my credit card so make sure every piece of information matches.
- Purchase limit is $5,000 per person within a 14 day rolling period for personal gift cards.
- Business gift cards have a larger maximum of $75,000.
- If your order is denied they will still count it towards your $5,000 total limit! This is absolutely asinine but unfortunately it is true.
- Citibank is known to consider gift card purchases as a cash advance. DO NOT USE A CITI CARD!
- Take advantage of the 3 month free trial Amex offers for unlimited next day shipping to save money!
- You cannot set a PIN for Amex gift cards so you will have to liquidate them by making purchases.
- Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles and 2 Admirals Club® Passes after making $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening*
- Your first eligible checked bag is free*
- Group 1 boarding and 25% savings on eligible in-flight purchases*
- Earn a $100 American Airlines Flight Discount every cardmembership year with qualifying purchases and cardmembership renewal*
- Double AAdvantage® miles on eligible American Airlines purchases*
- Earn 10% of your redeemed AAdvantage® miles back – up to 10,000 AAdvantage® miles each calendar year*
- Apply Now!