Just a heads up for those of you who are still looking for a way to replace the awesome 4x on Amex gift cards deal now that Barclaycard has removed Amex from the RewardsBoost portal. A couple of weeks ago I posted about a couple other shopping portals that were still at the time offering 4% cash back on American Express cards: Befrugal.com & Lucky Rewards.
Since then it looks like Lucky Rewards has also pulled American Express gift cards from their shopping portal – this seems to be a trend among Cartera run shopping portals. I hope it doesn’t continue. Befrugal.com has lowered the payout but is still offering cash back at a rate of 3% which is a pretty solid deal.
Topcashback.com has upped their payout to 3% as well for a limited time. The increased payout is good for 5 more days so this should run through the end of the week.
Things you should know about buying Amex gift cards:
- American Express is infamous for declining gift card purchases if the info you enter does not match your credit card 100%. Literally I have had orders denied because I listed a different email address in my order than what I had on my credit card so make sure every piece of information matches.
- Purchase limit is $5,000 per person within a 14 day rolling period for personal gift cards.
- Business gift cards have a larger maximum of $75,000.
- If your order is denied they will still count it towards your $5,000 total limit! This is absolutely asinine but unfortunately it is true.
- Citibank is known to consider gift card purchases as a cash advance. DO NOT USE A CITI CARD!
- Take advantage of the 3 month free trial Amex offers for unlimited next day shipping to save money!
- You cannot set a PIN for Amex gift cards so you will have to liquidate them by making purchases. An easy liquidation option is to go to giftcardmall.com and purchase Visa gift cards which can be liquidated via Bluebird.